Saturday, April 23, 2005

Funeral Blues

I'm back...after having enough rest. Actually after my trip to Kota Bahru, I got a fever, luckily not Typhoid Fever. Its an outbreak in Kelantan at the moment. From KL to KLIA, we took ERL which is much better. The non-stop journey from KL Sentral to KLIA only took 28 minutes, faster and no worries about traffic jam. While in ERL, I saw a very nice poem on the board written by W. H. Auden, the American Poet, borned in York England. He was a Chancellor of The Academy of American Poets from 1954 to 1973, and divided most of the second half of his life between residences in New York City and Austria. He died in Vienna in 1973.

Funeral Blues

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood,
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

W. H. Auden, April 1936

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stranger,

One of the reasons I like taking flights to KL rather than buses would be cause, of this poem up on the board and for that short ride, I just love reading that poem again and again.

it was on erl, I discover it for the first time as well. heh. siap copy tulis on a piece of paper, as if I can't search it on the net ha ha ha.

-rafthah-

crvbola said...

Wow..feel like stranger...hehehe. Yea me too, actually i took a few shoot of the poem with my camera.And retype it here,but sure it is on the net. Thanks for drop by Rafthah...

Salina said...

cantik poem nih. :). cantik sungguh bahasa dia.

Anonymous said...

Alamakk bro...sorilah lin taktau nak komen aper...hmm lin cuma nak cakap semoga bro dpt apa yg bro idamkan hehe...doa jer pada Allah,sesungguhnya Dia tau apa yg terbaik untuk kita ;).