Friday, July 15, 2005

Kelengkan - keringkam

When I was in Kota bahru, me and my parents went to Istana Jahar, which houses the Museum of Royal Traditions and Ceremonies. This unique palace was built in 1887 by the then Sultan of Kelantan, Sultan Ahmad (1886 - 1889) for his son, Long Kudin who succeeded him as sultan. The name Jahar was taken from the tree that stands at the entrance, also known as 'Flame of the Forest'.

But what attracted me most were the fine display of songket from Malaya as well as Bali, India and Sumatra. There are selendang known as kelengkan. It’s quite a surprise looking at this selendang kelengkan. Kelengkan reminds me of keringkam, the traditional selendang of malays in Sarawak. It’s almost the same as what we have in Sarawak. It’s also from gold thread. In fact the name sound alike. I took a photo of selendang from my mum collection. Red in color is belong to my mum, she wore it during her wedding and the dark brown belong to my late grandma. Sarawakian call this selendang as tudung keringkam.

1 comment:

Sesat said...

Hi there. The Kelenngkan and Keringkam look lovely. Do you happen to know what makes Keringkam unique? Does it have an splendour hostorical stories or values like the Pua Kumbu?
If you do, could you share it with me? Thank you. Raz.