Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Domestic violence

Last week I was helping my sister with her paper for the conference at UTM Skudai. It is on domestic violence. What captured my attention was the case study on one of her respondent. What a poor victim. When I first read the case, I just couldn't believe it’s really happen. Well, its not that appropriate to go on detail here. What I can highlight is that the respondent used to beaten up by her crazy husband and emotionally torched for almost 14 years. From time to time her husband’s tantrum getting worst. At last she decided to make a report and end the meaningless marriage. The trigger is after her husband keep threaten to rape their daughter.

According to my sister, "the silent culture" among Malaysian women makes them prone to be a victim. But it is ashamed for men to lay a hand to women. It is clearly stated in Koran and hadith.

Allah (swt) instructs us in the Qur'an:

"...Live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If you dislike them it may be that you dislike something in which Allah has placed a great deal of good" (Qur'an 4:19).

This is reinforced in the following sayings of Prophet Mohammed

Narrated Mu'awiyah al-Qushayri: I went to Allah's Apostle and asked him: "What do you say (command) about our wives?" He replied: "Give them food what you have for yourself, and clothe them by which you clothe yourself, and do not beat them, and do not revile them." (Sunan Abu Dawud: Book 11, Number 2139).


Pray to ALLAH that I will be a good husband if I have my own family. Emmm…don’t asked further question…don’t know when will I get married ok! Heheheheh



No comments: