Sunday, February 13, 2005

Risotto vs Paella

Recently, a friend asked me about Risotto as a result of reading my blog on oryza sativa. But as far as I know, it is not a type of paddy or rice but a cooking style. I checked on the web the meaning of risotto as below;

(rih-SAW-toh) - Risotto is actually an Italian cooking technique used for native Italian rice, Arborio. This old world method involves stirring hot liquid little by little into the rice for about 20 minutes, which will create a dish unlike any other rice recipe you have tried. Risotto is prepared this way and served immediately to preserve the unique, gourmet texture of a very creamy sauce around al dente, pasta-like rice kernels. The center of rice cooking is in the Po Valley in the Northeastern corner of Italy. It is where the arborio rice is grown. It is considered the classic rice dish of Piedmont, Lombardy, and Veneto regions of Northern Italy.

I did tried Vegetarian Risotto when I was in Italy. But it’s different with our cooking style. It’s creamy and taste of olive oil. It’s a bit frustrated because at that time we are craving for rice, especially my mum. We have no time to cook, so it had been quiet sometimes for us not eating rice at that time. So, when we saw risotto served at the hotel, all of us very excited. But once we tasted it…we end up with one spoon only. It’s just not our food.

Talking about Risotto, its remind me also with a Spanish dish call Paella. It’s rice as well. When I was in Madrid, I went to eat Seafood Paella at Grand Via. Its better as compared to Risotto.

No comments: